29 May 2009

Ants!

One of the not so joyous things about having an old home is that it doesn't take much for little crawling critters to find some imperfection to crawl through. Winter was a nice break, and I had almost forgotten about the cockroaches, cricket spider things, spiders, and the most annoying, ANTS! As soon as it started getting warm Joe and I found large ant hills forming all around our yard. It didn't matter how clean I kept our kitchen, they STILL kept coming back. I was so fed up that I finally forced Joe to grab some caulk and seal them off. Maybe a month later they found their way through our door. We set out ant poison but it didn't work! I finally got fed up and I remembered some blog post I stored away with recommendations on getting rid of ants.

Now I wish I could take credit for the the way all of this turned out because I feel so handy and proud, but unfortunately I have to thank Apartment Therapy. I sprinkled some cinnamon along the doorway, as if I were using holy water to keep vampires out of our house, and it's worked WONDERS! I sprinkled it yesterday and I haven't seen an ant anywhere near our doorway since! VICTORY! Apparently the smell is just too potent for them and it causes them to suffocate. It may sound cruel but if you've ever had an ant problem you know it's difficult to conjure any pity for them. So, if you have the same problem as me check out Apartment Therapy's newest blog post on the subject. They aren't really a fan of the cinnamon trick (it DOES make your house smell yummy, but it ALSO get kind of messy!), but they had a few other handy hints.

No comments: