06 August 2009

House Projects

So, I suppose it's been a long time coming, here are some of the house projects we've had going on around our house.
Before:
Notice the two slopes into the red barn doors? Well, any time it rained it left our basement wet because the grates in front of the door would fill with mud . Well, NOT anymore. It's obviously still a work in progress. We've got to get rid of all the extra mud and rock that has been dug out. Also the wall to the left is just a retaining wall, once we are done the rock will match the wall to the right. Joe has worked so hard on this, I've mostly been moral support and water girl (I had studying to do those weekends).
The next project I don't have before and after shots, just the after shots. We had decided to redo the molding and ceiling in our bathroom b/c it was old and chipping. It was a long weekend project AND the first time I discovered that Joe doesn't always have it all figured out haha! I know this isn't all that exciting for you, but it is for me. The bathroom looks so much better!
Our room looks a lot more complete with those curtains I mentioned a while back. I couldn't believe the difference it made in cozying up the house. It also makes it easier to sleep in late.
We installed can lights into our living room as well. This is probably the project that excited me the most in the end because our living room is so dark at night, plus the chocolate brown walls don't really help. Here's a picture that shows you why my anxiety level rises when Joe decides on a whim to start a house project (notice the TWO holes in our ceiling)
Well, I think that wraps it up. Joe is an incredible handy man, and with his job as a project manager on a construction site, we get a lot of the supplies for this stuff FREE! Woohoo! All these house projects have taught me a lot about myself such as:
1. I do not have the creative vision that Joe has to see the beauty of the end result
2. Sometimes I need to trust his vision
3. Sometimes I need to challenge his creative process b/c it's not always 100% thought through
4. I enjoy house projects, but I don't like them every weekend

#4 has been a point of contention these past few weekends, but I'm working through it. I honestly can't think of a single weekend that we spent entirely at our house that did not involve some sort of project/fixing/touching up. It may sound like I'm complaining, but I'm not. How many girls can say that their husbands love to work around the house and come home from work only to work on the house? I would venture to say that there aren't many girls that can say that.

1 comment:

Julie Tiemann said...

You guys are so my heroes! I'm really impressed. Yes, you have it good. I too have a good man who works his tail off when he comes home, although it's usually on the things this tired, pregnant woman can't bring herself to do - like laundry, cooking, cleaning, and changing dirty diapers. ;) Maybe one day we'll attempt some handiness, but we're just not gifted like you guys in that way!

Off to google "can lights."